Looking for an easy entree classic? There is nothing better for the busy cook then this Southern-Style Meat Loaf recipe. It takes 10 minutes to prep and then into the oven. The trick to this tasty meat loaf is the use of red or orange bell peppers and the sweet, tangy sauce.
2 lbs. Ground beef
16 Saltine crackers (crumbled)
1 Red or Orange Bell Pepper (1/2 diced the other half sliced into strips)
1 small Sweet Onion (diced)
1/4 Cup of Ketchup
3 Tbs Mustard
1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
3 Tbs. Honey
Dash of Paprika
1/2 Cup of Ketchup
Mix all ingredients together. It’s a messy job, but make sure all ingredients are incorporated well. Press into a loaf pan or 8×8 square baking dish. Next top with the tangy, sweet sauce and the bell pepper strips. Bake at 350 degrees for 70 to 75 minutes.
- 3 large baked potatoes
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve a little for topping)
- 2/3 cup margarine
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of half & half
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- 3/4 cup of sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In advance, bake 3 large potatoes, fry bacon and cook diced onions. (This can even be done a day in advance.) Skin the potato and cut into chunks and crumble the bacon.
- Then melt butter in a large dutch oven or stock pot on medium heat, whisk in the flour and whisk well. Slowly add the chicken broth and then the half and half. Whisk until it is thickened, then add the potato chunks, most of the crumbled bacon (reserve some for topping) and the cooked diced onions. Heat for about 10 minutes. Stir often.
- Then add 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese and 3/4 cup of sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for a few more minutes. Then serve with toppings!