If you’ve been looking for a quick, weeknight recipe to warm up your family, then look no further. This hearty, Beef Tortilla Soup is perfect for the busy family and is great reheated the next day or frozen for up to three months.
This soup has been a favorite of my family’s for years. Several years ago when I was fresh out of college, I went to work for a small advertising firm out of state. The warm and welcoming staff became my second family. We’d have weekly pot lucks around a conference table. The room would fill with laughter as we shared stories and swapped recipes. And although, I have regretfully lost touch with those old friends, their recipes still make frequent visits to our kitchen table.
I hope this fast and easy recipe becomes one of your family’s favorites, too.
1 lb. browned ground beef (I like to drain off excess fat.)
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 can of rotel
1 can of petite diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato soup (add about half a can of water to condensed soup)
1 can of beef broth
1 can of kidney beans, drained
1 can of ranch style beans
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
dash or two of worcestershire sauce
dash of garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded cheddar cheese
Brown the ground beef with the diced onion and add a dash of garlic salt in a large pot. (Drain any excess fat.) To the pot add all other ingredients. Heat to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes or more.
Note: Pour this soup over tortilla chips in a bowl and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1 lb. bag of pasta (Or half a bag of two different pasta- small shells and multi-color spirals)
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 small can of black olives, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tbs. parsley flakes
- 3/4 vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbs. prepared mustard
- 1 tbs. garlic salt
- Dice or chop all vegetables.
- Cook Pasta according to package instructions, then drain and add vegetables.
- Prepare Marinade in a medium mixing bowl and pour over the pasta/ veggie mixture, toss well.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.